Dental Botox® is a treatment option that many people are beginning to consider. While Botox® has traditionally been used for cosmetic purposes, recent studies have shown that it can be beneficial for treating oral problems. However, because it is relatively new to dentistry, many are curious as to what it can actually be used for.Outlined…
Cosmetic Botox® Treatments from a Dentist?
Dental Botox® is a great treatment option for patients with dental health and cosmetic issues. Botox®, an injection derived from botulinum toxin, is one of the most common cosmetic procedures for fighting wrinkles and reversing signs of aging on the face. In dentistry, Botox® has some interesting applications, including the alleviation of temporomandibular joint (TMJ) and facial pain.
About Botox® treatments
Facial cosmetic treatments such as dental Botox are offered as substitutes to surgery to improve the results of cosmetic dentistry treatments. Botox can produce radical cosmetic effects by reducing forehead lines, crow’s feet, smoker’s lines, wrinkles, and works as a treatment for teeth grinding and clenching, and alleviating migraines and excessive gum display.
Botox, a refined protein gotten from botulinum toxin, clears signs of aging by smoothing facial skin. Botox functions as a paralytic, inhibiting nerve impulses from linking with the facial muscles. Since the muscles cannot constrict, the creases and lines that show on parts of the face, including the forehead and corners of the eyes, become smooth, making the skin look more youthful. The patient will not lose sensation in the face, although the procedure may reduce their facial expressiveness.
The treatment is not permanent. Botox injections are effective for about three to four months (depending on the location of injection) before another one is necessary to maintain results. For those who use Botox regularly, the injection appointments can be included as part of their routine. The injection process only takes about five to 15 minutes without recovery time. The results are usually noticeable in about three to 10 days after injection.
Cosmetic applications of dental Botox
A dentist can use dental Botox for the following cosmetic treatments:
- Hypermobile lip: Some patients have a “gummy smile” due to a hypermobile lip. Instead of performing a gum contouring procedure to correct the issue, the dentist can use dental Botox for a more natural-looking, less gummy smile
- As a finishing touch for cosmetic dental procedures: If the patient has had a dental restoration, for example, the dentist may complete the treatment with Botox injections to reduce the fine lines around the mouth
- Botox is effective as a minimally invasive substitute for a surgical procedure for high lip line situations. It can augment the lips to cover more of the gums
- Botox can also be an effective treatment for readjusting the facial muscles. This is effective for patients who are finding it hard to adjust to new dentures or in some orthodontic procedures
- Bruxism treatment: This condition, simply known as teeth grinding, can cause dental damage. Botox treatments can relax the jaw muscles used for teeth grinding to protect the teeth
Getting started with dental Botox®
After the dentist discusses the patient’s needs, only a few injections will be required to correct the situation. If you have fine lines, wrinkles, headaches, jaw pain, and others, you can consider getting dental Botox from a dentist. It is better to consult a dentist with experience in performing the injection, as this lowers the risk of potential complications when undergoing the procedure.
Check out what others are saying about our dental services on Yelp: Dental Botox in Brooklyn, NY.
Dental Botox® refers to a procedure in which patients are administered botulinum toxin injections directly into the tissues of the face. This treatment is usually done in order to address TMJ disorder symptoms, bruxism, jaw clenching, and muscle spasms. Additionally, it can be used for gummy smiles and in conjunction with dental implant procedures.When considering…
When considering esthetic dentistry to help improve the appearance of your smile, considering dermal fillers is a good idea. Dermal fillers are used to help treat fat and collagen loss that naturally occurs as people age. Adding dermal fillers can help restore a youthful and full appearance to your smile, which can provide a boost…
Men and women who seek to add volume to lips and skin or correct wrinkles and lines that result from aging can use a dermal filler like Juvederm® to achieve temporary, fast-acting results without the need of surgery. These injectable solutions can help individuals achieve a more youthful appearance or address a variety of issues…